Study at GU

National University Corporation GUNMA UNIVERSITY


Basic questions about Gunma University

Is Gunma University a national university?

Yes, it is.

Tell me about the educational and research institutions connected with Gunma University.

Gunma University has four faculties and four graduate schools; the Faculty of Education / Graduate School of Education, Faculty of Social and Information Studies / Graduate School of Social and Information Studies (on the Aramaki Campus), the Faculty of Medicine / Graduate School of Medicine / Graduate School of Health Sciences (on the Showa campus) and the Faculty of Engineering / Graduate School of Engineering (on the Kiryu campus and Ota Campus). There is also a Research Institute called the Institute for Molecular and Cellular Regulation.

Where in Japan is Gunma University located?

It is located near the geographical center of the Japanese Archipelago, approximately100 km northwest of Tokyo. By train, it takes 90 minutes using the Shinkansen from Tokyo to JR Maebashi Station, the station nearest the Aramaki and Showa Campuses. To the Kiryu Campus, it takes 100 minutes to reach Shin-Kiryu Station from Tokyo, and to the Ota Campus, it is an 80-minute ride to Ota Station. Each campus is surrounded by nature, which provides a superb environment for studying and research. To get to each campus, please refer to this site.

How high is Gunma University ranked among universities in the world and in Japan?

According to the Times, the authoritative British magazine, Gunma University was highly evaluated ranking 252nd in 2006 , 331st in 2007 , 396th in 2008 ,401st~500th in 2009 and 551st~600th in 2010 in the world, and 16th in 2006 , 17th in 2007 , 23rd in 2008 and 20th~33rd in 2009 in Japan.

What are some of the research and/or advanced research fields unique to Gunma University?

A wide range of distinctive research is carried out at Gunma University. One field that is currently attracting much attention worldwide is research dealing with heavy-ion therapy, a state-of-the-art medical treatment by which cancer can be cured without surgery. A research institution is being currently constructed on the Showa Campus aiming to initiate this new treatment in 2009, with further research being conducted intensively both day and night.
Gunma University has had more projects adopted by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology than any other similar university in terms of scale and size. The Global COE Program, the 21 Century COE Program, 2 Characteristic GP, and 3 Current GP were adopted in 2007.

Global COE Program:
21 Century COE Program:
Current GP:
Characteristic GP:

Tell me about the professors, teachers and laboratories.

For detailed information, please visit the site of each faculty or graduate school, or the University Information Database(Researchers Reference).

Entrance examination

What are the procedures required for entering Gunma University?

In order to enter a faculty as a regular student, you need to take the Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU) held in June and November. Depending on the faculty you choose, make sure you know which test subjects you are required to take.
Application packages with application forms will be distributed from October. Please have one sent to you by Gunma University. Applications will be accepted from January. Entrance examinations will be held in February.
Detailed information on entrance examinations and other items is posted in the Information of Entrance Examination for Gunma University website.

How can I become a research student?

You need to contact the professor or the teacher under whom you’d like to study. For contact information, please contact the administrative office of each faculty or graduate school. Information on professors, teachers and laboratories is provided in the Website of Each Faculty / Graduate School and University Information Database.

How can I obtain copies of previous examination questions?

You can view (or obtain) samples of examination questions at the administrative office of each faculty.


When do the classes start?

The spring semester starts in early April and ends in late July. Examinations are given at the end of the term. The autumn semester starts in October and ends in early February. Summer vacation runs from early August through September, and spring vacation is from mid-February to March.

What kinds of classes are provided?

Freshmen acquire broad common knowledge in general education courses regardless of their specialty. From the sophomore year, students begin to establish their foundations in specialized fields and enhance their knowledge in the following years.
Subjects and syllabuses are shown in the Syllabus Data Base.

Can I attend the class(es) of other faculties?

Yes, you can if you receive consent from the professor or the teacher of the class. Credits from some classes among the specialized education courses are granted even if they are from a different faculty.

Are the classes conducted in Japanese? How much proficiency in Japanese is necessary to attend the class(es)?

Most of the classes are conducted in Japanese. It is desirable that you have achieved the Level 2 of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) or an equivalent level of skill.

Student life

What are the demographics with regard to international students at Gunma University?

There are approximately 300 students from 30 countries and 1 region.
Please click below for a list of the respective number of students from each country and faculty, their reports and weekly schedules.
Website about Gunma University international students

What kinds of stores are there around the Gunma University campuses?

Please click Information about the surrounding area of Gunma University for information about shops, hospitals, municipal offices, etc., which Gunma University students often use.

How far are the domitories from Gunma University? How much is the rent for a dormitory room? What kinds of facilities are provided?

It takes about 30 minutes to Gunma University by bicycle. The monthly room rate is ¥5,900. Every room is equipped with a bath and toilet, an IH stove, a refrigerator, a desk, a bed, an air-conditioner and other amenities. For more information, please refer the Gunma University International House in Expenses for studying at Gunma University

Are the dormitory rules very strict?

You can live harmoniously with the other international students by following the fundamental rules on how to dispose of garbage, how to use the Exchange Room, make punctual rent payments, etc. None of the rules are excessively strict.

What clubs or associations are there? As an exchange student, can I join any of them for only one year?

There are 134 culture and sport clubs and associations in Gunma University, through which you can experience aspects of college life other than studying and you can meet many other people. We highly recommend that you consider joining one or more of these groups.
Many clubs and associations accept one-year participation. Please contact the club/association representative. Contact information is provided at the “Introduction of Clubs and Associations” of each faculty and the Educational Division.
A list of GunmaUniversity Clubs and Associations (PDF File)

How are medical expenses in Japan?

If you are insured by the National Health Insurance, which is mandatory in principle, the charge for your initial visit to a clinic or hospital will be around ¥1,500 for treatment of a cold, ¥4,000 for an X-ray examination of a fracture, ¥1,500 for dental treatment, etc. The second or the following visits usually cost around ¥1,000 or less each time.

Is there anything I need to obtain before entering Japan?

It is desirable that you obtain the following in order to start your student life smoothly.

  1. 3 Photographs
    2 for the Alien Registration Card issued at a municipality (3cm by 4cm)
    1 for a student ID (1.5cm by 1.5cm)
    It costs about ¥1,000 to take these photos in Japan.
  2. A seal(hanko)
    A personal seal is necessary to open your bank account. Please bring a personal seal with your family name in Chinese characters) if you have one. A seal usually costs around ¥500 to ¥2,000 in Japan.
  3. Medication
    You should bring a supply of any medicine that you use on a regular basis with you since students sometimes get sick as they are adjusting to their new environment and new living circumstances. You can buy medicine in Japan, but you may want to use familiar medicine when you are sick.
  4. Materials to introduce your home country
    You will have opportunities to see and meet with Japanese school children, as well as to talk with them and exchange information with host families. A national costume, coins, postcards, books and other objects from your home may come in handy for introducing your country and yourself.

Are there any scholarships available? Are there any scholarships I can apply for before admission?

Many students hope to receive a scholarship, but the number of scholarships offered to Gunma University students is quite limited. Since every scholarship is competitive, it is hard for many students to receive one. (More than 10 students have been granted scholarships by private foundations.) It is strongly recommended for you not to count on any scholarship but to draw up a detailed financial plan so that you can sustain yourself.
No scholarships offered to Gunma University students can be applied for until you have been accepted into the university. If you wish to apply for any scholarship offered to unspecified students before admission, choose the most applicable one by yourself. Below is a website for your reference.
Website of Data on Studying Abroad

Pamphlet “Scholarship for International Students in Japan 2016-2017”

Tell me about students who have part-time jobs and their jobs.

Some international students have part-time jobs, such as waiting staff in restaurants, newspaper deliveries, classification of mail, translation, etc. Part-time jobs, however, should not impede your studies or research. Students seeking part-time jobs must obtain “permission to engage in an activity other than that permitted under the status of residence previously granted”.

Tell me how to open a bank account in Japan.

You can open a bank account with a copy of either the Alien Registration Card (or a Registration Application Certificate) if an Alien Registration Card has not yet been issued) or a National Health Insurance Certificate, and your seal at the bank on the spot. You can also open a bank account at the International Exchange Office or an administrative office.
Website of the Towa Bank :

How much money will be necessary to start my life as a new student at Gunma University?

If you rent a private apartment, you need to pay rent of approximately ¥30,000 on the average, as well as a deposit and key money (each the equivalent to one- or two-months rent) at the signing of the contract. You will also need to buy a refrigerator (around ¥15,000 to ¥25,000), a stove (around ¥8,000), bedding (around ¥10,000) and other necessities. Brand-new products are expensive. Recycle shops can help you save money. It is desirable that you also bring sufficient funds to cover school fees and food.

Tell me about parcel delivery service and its fees.

When you use a parcel delivery service, you bring the packed envelope or parcel to a convenience store or a post office, or you can call for a home-delivery company to pick up the parcel at your residence (for an extra fee). You write the destination on an application form and pay the delivery fee that depends on the distance and package’s weight.

Tell me how to write a paper.

You can ask upperclassmen, tutors, your professor or teacher how to write a paper.
You can also read books on how to write papers in the library and bookstores.

Tell me about tourist spots in Gunma.

There are many tourist spots such as Shikishima Park, Gunma Flower Park, Gunma Safari Park, Onsen hot springs (in Kusatsu, Ikaho, Minakami, Shima, etc.), Oze National Park, etc. Surrounded by mountains, hiking and skiing can bring you hours of enjoyment.
Website of the Gunma Tourism International Association

International exchange

Are there any international exchange events in which international students can take part?

Events that recruit Gunma University students are posted on the bulletin board at the International Exchange Division and in other convenient locations. Event information is updated on the website of each country’s international association and on other sites as well.

Website of the Maebashi International Association
Website of the Kiryu International Association
Website of the Gunma Tourism International Association, International Exchange Group

Are there any voluntary activities in which international students can take part?

There are a number of events international students can participate in throughout the year, such as visiting elementary school students to introduce your home country, giving a lecture at an international understanding seminar, etc. For more details, please contact the International Exchange Division or each administrative office.

I’d like to communicate with other Gunma University international students.

There is no collective organization of international students in Gunma University. We can introduce other Gunma University international students to you upon your request.
Participating in events held by Gunma University will bring you opportunities to communicate with students in other fields. We look forward to your positive participation.


Tell me about some of the workplaces where alumni are employed.

There are alumni who are employed in trading, systems engineering, consulting, the electricity industry, the automobile industry, etc. or who continue their research in the laboratory.

Can I make contact with alumni?

Representatives from countries that have an alumni association can be found at Alumni Asscoation.